Wednesday, November 21, 2018

"Bloodchild" Answers

  1. My first reaction to reading the story is about how interesting it was seeing Butler’s  interpretation of a world where gender functions have been reversed. Here, the male are the ones who give birth and bare children. Also, humans are the ones who crash land onto the alien planet instead of the aliens crashing to earth. I really felt that Butler had such an intertwining perspective onto have things would have been if roles were reversed, and challenged the types of roles we are aware of.
  2. I connected by how Butler chose to change and reverse certain roles, mainly by means of storytelling. I like stories that change up formulas and looks at a different perspective that we are familiar with. I feel that the part where Gan, whose mother agreed on sacrificing him as a host for the alien embryos. This is a dark part of the story that I felt was real. The fact that she would willingly give away one of er own to appease a threat really struck me because of how real it can feel when a mother would give up her own child for any reason. The overall tense atmosphere, and themes of survival really hit home for me.
  3. I can see the story being  translated to the television show formation the form of a drama. I really feel that the environment, scale, and situations can be made into a sci-fi/drama series. I really feel that the kind of story that Butler establishes and creates can have enough of a storyline to sustain a series adaptation. When it comes to any changes, I would say establishing the world and setting of the story, so that if this were put into an actual show, the audience will need to learn about this world before going into the craziness of the storylines. Establish how bikers this world is and the characters that inhabit it. There aren’t many changes I would Mae, but that would be one of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment